The trustees of Churches Conservation are pleased to announce the second year of the foundation’s grant award scheme, which will be for young craftspeople with an interest in religious built heritage wanting to travel to increase their expertise and knowledge, ultimately benefitting heritage skills in the UK. Thanks to a generous donation from the foundation’s trustees, up to two awards of between £500 and £1000 will be granted in June to young craftspeople showing the most innovative and enthusiastic approach to learning heritage skills, and with the clearest idea of how their own knowledge and future career in heritage will benefit from the award.
The grant will cover the following:
- Attendance at conferences or seminars
- Study tours
- Short-term internships
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be under 30 years of age on April 1st 2017
- Be studying for a relevant craft or traditional building skill*, or recently qualified in one
- Have a demonstrable and ongoing commitment to religious built heritage through a track record of relevant volunteering and/or study
- Be prepared to disseminate themselves what they learn through social media and also to provide photographs and a short report to the trustees, which may be published online and in any way by the foundation
Applicants are asked to complete an application form, describing how they meet the criteria, include an outline of their travel plans with a draft travel budget and attach a CV.
The award must be used to support the applicant’s main expenses in direct and demonstrable connection with heritage learning, and be used before January 1st 2018
The deadlines for all applications is Monday 15nd May. Judges will assess the applications and make awards in June.
Applications should be addressed to :-
*relevant crafts or building skills are those which contribute towards the conservation of a religious heritage building and its contents, such as wall painting conservation, wood carving, stonemasonry, glass work, relevant furniture and decorative skills and others.