The purpose of the panel is to raise the profile of IHBC by providing a view on rural matters on which the Institute is consulted, be proactive by raising rural issues and also sharing important developments.
We are looking for someone who is willing to take on some of the following tasks:
- going to the IHBC’s policy meeting (twice per year)
- scanning the internet for items of interest ( you can do this from home!)
- attending Heritage Alliance meetings, attending other similar meetings,
and responding to consultations on rural matters relating to the
CURRENT PANEL ISSUES FOR DISCUSSION
1) CAP Reform (may of course become something else post Brexit)
2) Changes in Planning Policy for redundant rural buildings, especially farm
3) Countryside Stewardship (also likely to change)
4) Rural planning generally to include building conservation, and archaeological
issues in the rural context.
SOME OF THE CURRENT PANEL DISCUSSIONS…
1) Working with the Heritage Alliance notably the Rural Advocacy Group (HA represents 100 organizations in the heritage field). HA are engaged in Brexit discussions about the funding of traditional farm buildings, small villages, field boundaries, ancient monuments, woods and parkland, to name but a few.
2) The impact of the changing economics of farming. Elderly farmers struggling
to carry on a way of life, which is not economically viable for many would-be
3) Curtilage of listed buildings, in particular whether farm buildings can be considered to be in the curtilage of a farmhouse – influencing HE policy on this matter.
4) Concerns about ‘permission in principle’ and what it will mean for farm building
conversions as well as the new extensions to ‘permitted development’ reference the
design of farm building conversions being over-ridden by other planning matters, and the possible effect on archaeological sites.
5) The impact of lack of LA conservation staff in rural areas.
If you feel you want to develop your skills in Rural Issues and contribute to some areas of this, become part of this Panel!
If you want to have an informal chat feel free to contact IHBC at firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no deadline and you can apply anytime.